Need for Guidance and Counselling
The student life is getting complex day by day . Guidance is needed to help the students for optimum achievement and adequate adjustment in the varied life situations. Need analysis of the students in the schools shows the need of Guidance and counseling services , in the education, profession, vocation, social, health, moral, personal, and marital areas.
Guidance and counseling programme needs to be introduced in our colleges and universities to meet the varied needs of the educational system, administration, and students.
1) to help in the total development of the student
Guidance and counseling helps the students to have a bettervself understanding and proper adjustment to self and society. Developing of proper motivation and clarification of goals and ideas to pupils in conformity with their basic potentialities and social tendencies are important. Total development of the student necessitates that individual differences amoung them are expected, accepted, understood, and planned for. And all types of experiences in an institution are to be so organized as to contribute to the total development of the student.
2) To help in the proper choices of courses
3) To help in the proper choice of careers
4) To help the students in vocational development
5) To develop readiness for choices and changes to face new challenges
6) To minimize the mismatching between education and employment and help in the efficient ue of manpower.
7) To motivate the youth for self employment
8) To help freshers establish proper identity
Guidence and counseling service is needed to help students deal effectively with the ormal developmental tasks of adolescence and face life situations boldly.
9) To identify and motivate the students from weaker sections of society.
10) To help the students in their period of turmoil and confusion
11) To help in checking wastage and stagnation
12) To identify and help students in need of special help.
There are such students as the gifted , the backward , the handicapped who need special opportunities . They need special attention and opportunities .
13) To ensure the proper utilization of time spent outside the classrooms.
The manner in which students spend their non-class hours clearly affects their success in achieving both academic competence and and personal development of al types.A positive direction to students should be provided by influencing how they can use those non-class hours.
14) To help in tackling problems arising out of students population explosion
15) To check migration to prevent brain drain
16) To make up for the deficiencies of home.
17) To minimize the incidence of indiscipline.
Majority of the students lack a sense of direction, a sense of purpose and a sense of fulfillment. And indulge in destructive activities, which lead to social damage and loss. Adequate guidance and counseling facilities is the only answer to help and guide the youth to worthwhile channels and help them realize the goals of optimum academic, personal and social development.
Contemporary society needs and trends
Problems and needs in society are nothing new , but today they seem to be proliferating at an unprecedented rate. The unique problems in the changing famly, cities in upheaval, conflicts in values, attitudes, and moral, the new cynicism about politics, economic factors, the changing role of work , new pressure and demands on school, and problems of the youth, all points out the need for the counseling services Guidance and counselling have a challenging role to play in every developing economy, much more so if it is a labour surplus one.
-1)A.K. Nayak: Guidance and Counselling ,(1997)APHPublishing Corporation.